[R-sig-Geo] Re: About dealing 2-byte code characters(ex. Japanese) in new maptools

Susumu Tanimura stanimura-ngs at umin.ac.jp
Mon Nov 1 06:35:07 CET 2004

Dear Ono-san and Professor Bivand,

In my environment, Japanese characters in your example works fine with
read.dbf() in maptools ver. 0.4-8.

My environment: VineLinux3.0, R-2.0.0_ja-1vl1, maptools ver. 0.4-8

I am afraid that it is due to EUC-JP encoded DBF file and R localized
into Japanese, though.

Availing myself of this question, let me ask a way to confirm if
read.dbf() has been surely replaced by maptools.  I have just done
"update.packages()" for obtaining the latest foreign and maptools.

--
Susumu Tanimura
Dept. of Socio-environmental Medicine