[R-sig-Geo] Weights based on a function and 'listw' object

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Feb 12 16:26:47 CET 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Virgilio Gómez Rubio wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using a 'listw' object (see package spdep) to store weights to
> compute differentbstatistics, and I wonder whether it is possible to
> define weights as, say, the inverse of the distance (or any other
> function based on the centroids, for example).

See the example for nbdists(), and especially for nb2listw(), at the
bottom, where the output from nbdists() is fed into nb2listw() through the
glist= argument.

> Futhermore, is it efficient to use one of these objects when
> all the areas are linked one another? Is it better to use a square nxn
> matrix in this case?

Maybe, but you do lose the functions requiring a listw object, and you
need to define the weighting style yourself (for example row
standardised). In any case, weights at greater distances are very close to
zero, so either distance bands or k-nearest neighbours will give very
similar estimates (prove me wrong!!).

Roger

> Thank you for your help.

Econonic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of
Norway, voice: +47-55959355, fax: +47-55959393; Roger.Bivand at nhh.no