[R-sig-Geo] spatial 2SLS

Danlin Yu danlinyu at csd.uwm.edu
Mon Dec 13 17:37:49 CET 2004

Dear Mihai Nica:

    I think it is a memory issue, too. I ran into the same problem when
using around 3000 observations. Although I used memory.size() to increase
the memroy allocation size, spdep took too long to run.

    The problem, I think, might be due to the fact that spdep's spatial
autoregressive models use the exact method (correct me if I am wrong),
while GeoDa uses an approximatioin method (see the paper "Fast maximum
likelihood estimation of very large spatial autoregressive models: a
characteristic polynomial approach", in Computational Statistics & Data
Analysis 35 (2001) 301-319). If the method could be incorporated in R, it
will be great.

    Danlin

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Mihai Nica wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I would like to take advantage of this thread and ask if there is a way to
> "enhance" the code in spdep. I have a dataset with 3030 observations and two
> independent variables. On the same old computer it runs great in GeoDa, but
> fails in R. I assume it is a memory issue, but having two different ways to
> check my results would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mihai Nica
> Jackson State University