[R-sig-Geo] CAR spatial model functions?

Brian Aukema aukema at entomology.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 16 18:23:02 CEST 2004

At 15 Aug 2004 14:43:35 +0200 (CEST), Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:

 > There was a question (as the original questioner noted) on the list some
months ago
 > about CAR by ML (essentially doing what S-Plus SpatialStats does)? Is
this a general
 > need? Should spdep do it (I've kept away from it because spdep was not
intended to
 > duplicate things already available in some implementation of S, rather
to complement)?
 > Has anybody any code that could be polished?

Thanks to the list for the suggestions to implement CAR models with
WinBUGS.  I would
love to see spdep include implementations of CAR via ML in the future, even
though S-Plus
has similar capabilities.  R has a much better price, especially when being
used as a
teaching tool.

Brian Aukema

Brian Aukema, PhD
Visiting Fellow, Canadian For. Service Pacific Forestry Centre
506 West Burnside Road
Victoria, British Columbia
V8Z 1M5