[R-sig-Geo] CAR spatial model functions?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Aug 15 14:43:35 CEST 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Baz wrote:

> Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr wrote:
>
> > One possibility is to install winbugs (and you don't need windows to do
> > so: you can install it in Linux with wine)
> > and use the package rbugs
>
>   I tried mucking about with WinBUGS under Wine on Linux earlier this
> year. Disaster.

Thanks, this is very useful - though rbugs claims to be able to work with
wine - does anyone have less negative experience with wine? The other R
package (R2WinBUGS) looks Windows-centric. Returning to CAR models, has
anyone written code for exporting neighbour lists from spdep in GeoBUGS
format (that could be included in spdep, or in a separate package
depending on spdep and rbugs and/or R2WinBUGS)?

There was a question (as the original questioner noted) on the list some
months ago about CAR by ML (essentially doing what S-Plus SpatialStats
does)? Is this a general need? Should spdep do it (I've kept away from it
because spdep was not intended to duplicate things already available in
some implementation of S, rather to complement)? Has anybody any code that
could be polished?

Roger