[R-sig-Geo] Using SJava?

Timothy H. Keitt tkeitt at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 2 21:09:22 CEST 2004

I'm just starting to look at java. The big win is people report 100%
productivity (lines per hour) increase over C++. Eclipse is a great tool
for learning java. I was using vector/list classes within minutes (you
can easily find object in the base libraries by browsing or with
autocompletion). I agree, performance is less of an issue these days. In
the long run, if distributed vm's become available that implement
transparent thread migration, then java progs will get really easy to
scale-up to large problems (modulo the normal caveats about the problem
domain). Someone should really port R onto the java vm. (Not optimal for
R-like languages, but the ease of integrating with java, jpython, etc.
might make it worth while.)

Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt