[R-sig-genetics] Pegas vs Arlequin, and negative AMOVA values

Emmanuel Paradis emm@nue|@p@r@d|@ @end|ng |rom |rd@|r
Tue May 5 05:03:17 CEST 2020

----- Le 5 Mai 20, à 0:36, Marc Domènech Andreu <mdomenan using gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
> Yes I tried it. Most of the results are very similar but some change. Do you
> know the difference between those two methods?

model = "N" is the Hamming distance (absolute number of differences between two sequences)

model = "raw" is the Hamming distance divided by the sequence length (aka uncorrected distance, or p-distance)

About the use of 'pairwise.deletion' in dist.dna(): in fact there is no simple/unique solution for this option. It depends very much on the data at hand and the distribution of "missing data", especially gaps. You need to check their distribution, for example with image(x) of image(x, what = "-") where 'x' is the DNA data. You may get nonsensical results leaving the default pairwise.deletion = FALSE if there are long gaps. Even a small number of gaps may be problematic if there are in a column (site) which is polymorphic.

Best,

Emmanuel