[R-SIG-Finance] In rugarch, is Johnson's SU distribution properly scaled to mean=0, variance=1?

alexios galanos @|ex|o@ @end|ng |rom 4d@c@pe@com
Wed Feb 16 17:45:34 CET 2022

Simple to quickly test:

library(rugarch)

f1 <- function(x) x * ddist(distribution = "jsu", x, mu = 0, sigma = 1,
skew = -10, shape = 0.5)
f2 <- function(x) x^2 * ddist(distribution = "jsu", x, mu = 0, sigma =
1, skew = -10, shape = 0.5)

# Mean
integrate(f1, -Inf, Inf, rel.tol = 1e-12)$value
 >-1.145875e-16

# Variance
integrate(f2, -Inf, Inf, rel.tol = 1e-12)$value
 >1

Page 24 of the vignette
(https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rugarch/vignettes/Introduction_to_the_rugarch_package.pdf)
clearly states that the re-parameterization  of this distribution is
from the Rigby and Stasinopoulos (2005) as implemented in their
gamlss package (and checked prior to implementing).

Alexios