[R-SIG-Finance] rugarch: Initializing an AR1 model fit

alexios ghalanos @lexio@ @ending from 4d@c@pe@com
Thu Jul 19 19:20:57 CEST 2018

Best illustrated with an example:

library(rugarch)
data(sp500ret)
spec=arfimaspec(mean.model=list(armaOrder=c(2,2)))
fit = arfimafit(spec, sp500ret)
head(fitted(fit))

1987-03-10  1.913217e-04
1987-03-11  1.913217e-04
1987-03-12 -4.294109e-04

t(t(coef(fit)))

mu     0.0001913217
ar1   -0.0643659160
ar2    0.2625192564
ma1    0.0241934750
ma2   -0.3439672864
sigma  0.0118930801

Therefore, until we have enough data (T>Lag), we use the estimated mean (mu) to initialize the recursion. There are certainly other ways to do this such as building up incrementally from Lag1 to LagN, but not currently implemented.

I don't know how matlab estimates ARMA models, but the documentation provides the formulation used (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rugarch/vignettes/Introduction_to_the_rugarch_package.pdf) in Section 2.1

Regards,

Alexios