[R-SIG-Finance] Restriction test (H0: alpha1+beta1 = 1, H1:alpha1 + beta1 ≠ 1) on GARCH model in R not working

alexios galanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Thu Mar 15 10:05:59 CET 2018

You posted a lot of questions/follow up questions on stack exchange, but
you have not taken the time to summarize what these are in this forum or
provide data with which we can replicate the problem. The vignette of
the package already addresses most of your questions as well as provide
the suggested forum for posting such questions (here).

I will try to provide a brief summary of your questions:

1. Your restricted model's log likelihood is higher than the
unrestricted model.
2. You are having trouble understanding how the log likelihood is
calculated.
3. You do not understand why the beta coefficient in the restricted
iGARCH model is printed
out and has NA in the standard errors.

As I do not have your dataset, the only comment I can make is that the
small differences arise from the optimization not reaching an optimal.
This is already discussed in the vignette and in many previous posts to
this forum. There are many choices of solver, strategies to help out and
tuning/tolerance parameters to use. For completeness however I will
provide a similar example with the package's default dataset which shows
that this in general works:

######################
library(rugarch)
data(sp500ret)
library(xts)
spx<-xts(as.numeric(sp500ret[,1]), as.Date(rownames(sp500ret)))
# restricted iGARCH model
spec1<-ugarchspec(mean.model=list(armaOrder=c(0,0), archm=TRUE,
archpow=1), variance.model=list(model="iGARCH"))
# unrestricted sGARCH model
spec2<-ugarchspec(mean.model=list(armaOrder=c(0,0), archm=TRUE,
archpow=1), variance.model=list(model="sGARCH"))
mod1<-ugarchfit(spec1, spx, solver="solnp")
mod2<-ugarchfit(spec2, spx, solver="solnp")

# restricted LL < unrestricted LL
likelihood(mod1)<likelihood(mod2)
 >TRUE

round(sum(dnorm(spx,mean = fitted(mod1), sd=sigma(mod1), log =
TRUE)),5)==round(likelihood(mod1),5)
round(sum(dnorm(spx,mean = fitted(mod2), sd=sigma(mod2), log =
TRUE)),5)==round(likelihood(mod2),5)

So in reply to the 3 questions:
1. Most likely not found the optimal in your dataset for the
unrestricted model. Try changing the optimization tolerance.
2. Read Section 2.3 (Conditional Distributions) of the vignette and then
try calculating:
#log(dnorm(residuals(mod1,TRUE))/sigma(mod1))#
as in equation 64 of the vignette to convince yourself that it is
equivalent to what is shown above.
3. Beta is returned and printed out, but since it is not calculated, the
standard error is NA. Perhaps it is redundant to print out what beta is
(since it is imposed to be 1-\alpha), but it is and should not confuse you.

Regards,

Alexios