[R-SIG-Finance] quantmod getSymbols() failing on Yahoo

Keith Sabol sabolkj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 19:59:41 CEST 2017

I've been using getSymbols() to retrieve data from Yahoo for some time
without difficulty.  Recently, I've been getting this error:

getSymbols("IBM")
Error in download.file(paste(yahoo.URL, "s=", Symbols.name, "&a=", from.m,
 :
  cannot open URL '
http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=IBM&a=0&b=01&c=2007&d=3&e=20&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=IBM&x=.csv
'

Pasting this url into my browser works as expected:

https://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=IBM&a=0&b=01&c=2007&d=3&e=20&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=IBM&x=.csv

Can someone suggest how I might find/edit the line in the quantmod code
that would enable me to to switch to HTTPS until the package catches up?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

Keith