[R-SIG-Finance] Option pricing, basic question

Frank frankm60606 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 15:42:11 CEST 2016

I use the 3-month constant maturity Treasury bill rate from FRED (Federal
Reserve Economic ??Database??) for the risk-free rate. For options with
substantially more than 3 months until expiration, I think it makes sense to
use a maturity that best matches the option. The R code I use is:

library(quantmod)
library(chron)

##
## Get DGS3MO Treasury yield from FRED
##

getSymbols('DGS3MO',src='FRED')
DGS3MO<-na.locf(DGS3MO/100.0,na.rm = TRUE)
tail(DGS3MO)
file_name <- "DGS3MO.csv"
write.zoo(DGS3MO, file = file_name, append = FALSE, quote = TRUE, sep = ",")
quit()

I run this text from a batch file in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. The text in the
batch file is:

REM on Microsoft Windows (adjust the path to R.exe as needed)
DEL *DGS3MO.csv

"C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.2\bin\x64\R.exe" CMD BATCH
"C:\Users\Frank\Documents\R\Projects\DGS3MO\DGS3MO.txt"
"C:\Users\Frank\Documents\R\Projects\DGS3MO\DGS3MO.out"
COPY DGS3MO.BAT DGS3MO.BAK
COPY DGS3MO.TXT DGS3MO.TXT.BAK
REM PAUSE

You say "r (drift)". Interest rates do move around despite the constant
interest rate assumption of the Black-Scholes model. This could be
characterized as drift. I'm not sure why else drift is in this post.
Correcting for interest rate drift has not mattered in calculations I've
made.

Volatility is also assumed constant in Black-Scholes. Volatility does drift
and this is the core problem with fitting market data to the standard
Black-Scholes model. Correctly correcting for drift might give you a better
fit to market data.

Best,

Frank
Chicago, IL