[R-SIG-Finance] tick data and one minute bar data appear out of line (IBrokers)

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 15:53:48 CET 2016

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Stephen Choularton
<stephen at organicfoodmarkets.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Joshua
>
> Just trying to follow that comment 'If you look at the tick data versus the
> high-low range, you should see that all the tick prices fall within that
> range for every aggregate interval.'
>
> The summary of the two datasets is:
>
>  summary(bars)
>      Index                       CBA.Close
>  Min.   :2016-03-03 10:06:00   Min.   :48.31
>  1st Qu.:2016-03-03 11:37:00   1st Qu.:48.38
>  Median :2016-03-03 13:08:00   Median :48.45
>  Mean   :2016-03-03 13:08:00   Mean   :48.46
>  3rd Qu.:2016-03-03 14:39:00   3rd Qu.:48.53
>  Max.   :2016-03-03 16:10:00   Max.   :48.73
>

> and
>
> summary(ticks)
>    Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
>   47.82   48.41   48.44   48.47   48.49   49.00
>
> Now that min figure is the result of some market closing phenomena and it
> really never went much below 48.3 so yes its true that they have a similar
> range and min and max but ticks gets up into the just under 49.0 level
> around 10:15 and bars only gets to that level around 11:30 and again at noon
> while ticks is under 48.6 at that point.
>
> Sounds like you don't think there is anything that unusual in the two
> datasets so I guess I had better take that on board and keep on trying to
> make this work.

I don't think there's anything unusual, unless the close prices are
outside the high-low range.  I think the piece you're missing is that
"high-low range" means the high and low prices (ticks) for a 1-minute
interval; not the max/min of the close price.

--
Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com