[R-SIG-Finance] tick data and one minute bar data appear out of line (IBrokers)

Stephen Choularton stephen at organicfoodmarkets.com.au
Fri Mar 4 06:47:59 CET 2016

Hi Joshua

Just trying to follow that comment 'If you look at the tick data versus
the high-low range, you should see that all the tick prices fall within
that range for every aggregate interval.'

The summary of the two datasets is:

  summary(bars)
      Index                       CBA.Close
  Min.   :2016-03-03 10:06:00   Min.   :48.31
  1st Qu.:2016-03-03 11:37:00   1st Qu.:48.38
  Median :2016-03-03 13:08:00   Median :48.45
  Mean   :2016-03-03 13:08:00   Mean   :48.46
  3rd Qu.:2016-03-03 14:39:00   3rd Qu.:48.53
  Max.   :2016-03-03 16:10:00   Max.   :48.73

and

summary(ticks)
    Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
   47.82   48.41   48.44   48.47   48.49   49.00

Now that min figure is the result of some market closing phenomena and
it really never went much below 48.3 so yes its true that they have a
similar range and min and max but ticks gets up into the just under 49.0
level around 10:15 and bars only gets to that level around 11:30 and
again at noon while ticks is under 48.6 at that point.

Sounds like you don't think there is anything that unusual in the two
datasets so I guess I had better take that on board and keep on trying
to make this work.

Thanks for looking at it

Stephen Choularton PhD, FIoD