[R-SIG-Finance] Portfolio VaR and Asset VaR

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Jun 3 12:00:48 CEST 2015

Jan is correct.  Value at Risk does not have the property of being
'coherent' in the sense described in Artzner's papers.

R does have a coherent portfolio VaR available.  You can call
portfolio_method='component' in the VaR function in PerformanceAnalytics
which will give you the portfolio VaR and how much each asset
contributes to the overall portfolio VaR.

Regards,

Brian