[R-SIG-Finance] Portfolio VaR and Asset VaR

Annaert Jan jan.annaert at uantwerpen.be
Wed Jun 3 11:43:40 CEST 2015

I think this is perfectly possible. For instance, if A to E are individual
stocks and P is, say, an equally weighted portfolio of these stocks. If
firm-specific risk is high relative to systematic risk (which is typical),
firm-specific risk may be to a large extent diversified away in P. As a
consequence, VaR of P may be (much) smaller than each of the individual
VaRs.
HTH,

Jan Annaert

UNIVERSITEITANTWERPEN | Faculty of Applied Economics (TEW) | Dept.
Accounting & Finance
Room  S.B.335 | Prinsstraat 13 | B-2000 Antwerp  | Belgium
Phone +32 32654163 |Fax +32 32654064
https://www.uantwerp.be/en/staff/jan-annaert/
http://ssrn.com/author=143473