[R-SIG-Finance] RFC: quantmod::getSymbols.MySQL

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:25:59 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Joshua Ulrich <josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> To follow up with the solution I adopted in quantmod_0.4-3 (on CRAN as
> of 2014-12-15): I moved all the necessary Defaults functionality
> directly to quantmod.  This did not include Defaults' ability to
> modify other package's namespaces, since that was a big reason Jeff
> requested Defaults be archived.
>
> This means that getSymbols.MySQL should function as it did when
> quantmod depended on Defaults.  Also, any packages that depend on
> quantmod and use the ported Defaults functionality should be able to
> use quantmod_0.4-3 without losing functionality.  Packages that use
> Defaults' ability to modify other package's namespaces will need to be
> patched to work without that functionality.
>
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 7:25 AM, Joshua Ulrich <josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As many of you know, the Defaults package was removed from CRAN on
>> 2014-10-03 at Jeff's request.  This broke a fair bit of functionality
>> in quantmod, most of which I have addressed in recent commits on
>> R-Forge.
>>
>> One issue I have not resolved is how to adapt getSymbols.MySQL to the
>> new no-Defaults paradigm.  I will be taking over as maintainer of
>> quantmod, so I am soliciting input from getSymbols.MySQL users.
>>
>> My proposed solution to getSymbols.MySQL is to look for specific
>> option()s if certain arguments are missing.  I think this is the
>> cleanest and most obvious solution, but am open to alternatives.  I
>> would use the option structure below, with only the three arguments
>> listed.
>>
>> options(quantmod.defaults = list(
>>   getSymbols.MySQL = list(
>>     user="josh",
>>     password="secret",
>>     dbname="stocks")
>>   )
>> )
>>
>> Should I consider another option structure?  Should additional
>> arguments be supported?  Anything else I'm missing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
>> FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com
>

> --
> Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
> FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com

Should all of the fixes for these MySQL issues have migrated to CRAN
by now? I'm still running
my old code daily without using MySQL due to messages like this:

[1] "From MySQL --  SPY"
Error in (function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
  unable to find an inherited method for function ‘dbConnect’ for
signature ‘"character"’

Thanks,
Mark