[R-SIG-Finance] RFC: plot.xts

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Thu Apr 23 17:52:27 CEST 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-23 at 15:33 +0000, Paul Teetor via R-SIG-Finance wrote:
> Josh:
> First, many thanks to everyone for this work. I've seen some
> preliminary results, and they look wonderful.
> Second, some questions before I dive in:
> Does this subsume the xtsExtra package of plotting functions? Do we
> still need xtsExtra, or is that toast?

plot.xts will be removed from xtsExtra in the near future.  Yes,
plot.xts and supporting function now in xts-proper supercede the
plot.xts in xtsExtra.

> How would you recommend installing this? By devtools::install_github,
> for example?

install_github is a fine approach

install_github('joshuaulrich/xts')

> Finally, I depend critically on xts for daily work. Does this beta
> release impact the non-graphics code?

We use this code for production-critical tasks every day.

The core of xts has the usual smattering of optimizations and bug fixes,
and has not changed substantially from a user perspective.

plot.xts is substantially different from the old plot.xts, but the old
plot.xts didn't do much, which is why most users used chartSeries or
plot.zoo.

> What's the appropriate level of caution here?

As always, YMMV, but this code has been under development and in use for
over a year, and I at least consider it stable and ready for prime time.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson