[R-SIG-Finance] Backing out a portfolio snapshot?

Ilya Kipnis ilya.kipnis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:41:43 CET 2015

If it's a rebalancing date, then that's just the weights you have assigned
to it. Beyond that, I would suggest to take the cumulative product of the
returns of your holdings up to the day you're interested in, multiply by
your last allocation, and normalize. In regards to cash, shouldn't you be
using a separate security for that (EG SHY, TLT, some sort of futures from
Quandl, etc.), or at the least, just a column of zeroes in addition to the
rest of your assets to denote cash on the sidelines?