[R-SIG-Finance] Backing out a portfolio snapshot?

matt at considine.net matt at considine.net
Fri Feb 6 16:33:50 CET 2015

Hi,
Let's say I have a snapshot of a portfolio's holdings on a given day, as
well as the trades covering the two years up to that date.  Does anyone
know of an already-made module or toolchain that would allow me to back
out the portfolio's holdings on any given day up to that point (but that
is obviously covered by the trading data)?  While it is a pretty
straightforward - and tedious - mechanical exercise, I can see that
there might be a twist in that one needs to create the implied cash
balance, as all the cash positions are not included (just the ending
balance).

So I recognize that the result might only be a close approximation.  But
under the assumption that the portfolio was always effectively fully
invested I think the results would be robust.

If anyone is aware of a solution out there that is based in R, I'd be
appreciative.

Regards,
Matt Considine