[R-SIG-Finance] rbbg connection issue: failed to connect server

John Laing john.laing at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:20:52 CET 2015

Aidan,

This does appear to be an issue with your Java API. The jar file being
found in the top of the API never seems to work. The correct jar file
is usually buried a few levels down in a versioned directory. On my
machine, this is C:\blp\API\APIv3\JavaAPI\v3.4.5.5\lib\blpapi3.jar.

The function find.blpapi.jar.file contains the logic to search for
this file. It's only falling back to the jar file you're seeing
because it can't find one the right one elsewhere. (I should probably
throw an error here instead of falling back to a jar that never seems
to work.)

Re-installing the Bloomberg Java API in the default location should
fix your problem. If it's already installed elsewhere, you can pass
the location in the blpapi.jar.file argument.

HTH,
John