[R-SIG-Finance] RFC: quantmod::getSymbols.MySQL

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:25:55 CET 2014

As many of you know, the Defaults package was removed from CRAN on
2014-10-03 at Jeff's request.  This broke a fair bit of functionality
in quantmod, most of which I have addressed in recent commits on
R-Forge.

One issue I have not resolved is how to adapt getSymbols.MySQL to the
new no-Defaults paradigm.  I will be taking over as maintainer of
quantmod, so I am soliciting input from getSymbols.MySQL users.

My proposed solution to getSymbols.MySQL is to look for specific
option()s if certain arguments are missing.  I think this is the
cleanest and most obvious solution, but am open to alternatives.  I
would use the option structure below, with only the three arguments
listed.

options(quantmod.defaults = list(
  getSymbols.MySQL = list(
    user="josh",
    password="secret",
    dbname="stocks")
  )
)

Should I consider another option structure?  Should additional
arguments be supported?  Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,
--
Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com