[R-SIG-Finance] Implied volatility as external regressors in rugarch?

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Mon Aug 25 07:06:57 CEST 2014

Milos,

If you notice in his spreadsheet, he is using VIX[t-1] (as it should
be), but you are passing the ex.reg without lagging it (perhaps this
should be made explicit in the documentation).

Pass instead this:

>ex.reg=c(0,(vix^2)/252)

Also, don't pass data frames, use matrix (or xts) for the
external.regressors and numeric for the data (when not using xts).

You'll notice the rugarch likelihood is slightly better and the numbers
very slightly different. If you plug the rugarch coefficients into his
excel spreadsheet you'll get the exact same likelihood.

-Alexios