[R-SIG-Finance] "ugarchfit" function of "rugarch" package needs at least 100 data points.

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 9 22:22:41 CEST 2012

While GARCH parameter estimates can be quite variable (as Pat has nicely
shown), the resulting volatility forecasts tend to be much more stable (at
least in the short term). If the goal is short-term vol forecasting then one
doesn't really care too much about the GARCH point estimates. The important
long-term parameters are the unconditional vol and the persistence of the
GARCH process as these dictate where and how fast the vol forecasts evolve.
For the short term, most GARCH forecasts look a lot like simple EWMAs. So if
you only have 100 obvs and want to get a simple short-term forecast, use an
EWMA. That's the riskMetrics approach.