[R-SIG-Finance] Methods of installing R on Linux

Worik Stanton worik.stanton at gmail.com
Mon May 28 01:22:41 CEST 2012

Excuse me that this is slightly off topic for this list. But I see a lot
of interesting pieces of code go by on this list that I cannot use as I
use the R installed by my distribution (mint, essentially Ubuntu ).

For instance:

> > install.packages("forecast")
> Installing package(s) into
> ‘/home/worik/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.13’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
> package ‘forecast’ is not available (for R version 2.13.1)

So I plan to install the best R I can to run code and test ideas from
this list. So what is the best way to proceed? By default I would
compile the latest source from https://github.com/SurajGupta/r-source.
But as this is where I lurk to to find R goodness so what is the
standard way people here install R?

cheers
Worik

--
it does not matter                      I think that I shall never see
how much I dig and dig                    A billboard lovely as a tree