[R-SIG-Finance] : Comparing Forcasts

alexios alexios at 4dscape.com
Sat Jan 21 01:38:39 CET 2012

For the SPD test of Hansen you'll need to provide a loss series, which
means you'll need a measure of realized volatility to compare the vol
forecast to. Alternative approaches would be to use forecast VaR to
construct a loss series as in Gonzalez-Rivera, Lee, and Mishra (2004)
who adopt a loss function used in quantile estimation.

You might find the recent model confidence set (mcs) of Hansen, Lunde
and Nason (2011)  more suitable.

Forecasts from a ugarchforecast object may be extracted through a number
of methods including as.data.frame, as.array etc  (read the documentation).

Regards,
Alexios