[R-SIG-Finance] : Comparing Forcasts

Eric Zivot ezivot at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 20 20:07:00 CET 2012

The easiest test of predictive accuracy is the Diebold-Mariano test (see
http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot/econ584/dieboldMariano.pdf and
http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot/econ582/econ512forecastevaluationSlides
.pdf ). This can be implemented via simple regression with a standard error
correction for serial correlation (e.g. Newey-West std errors). This theory
for this test is based on known coefficients in your forecasting models and
non-nested models. There have been many improvements to this test over the
years. See the many papers by Todd E. Clark and Michael McCracken and Ken
West. The tests implemented in the ttrTests are in the class of predictive
accuracy tests.

Eric Zivot
Robert Richards Chaired Professor of Economics and Director of Outreach
Adjunct Professor of Finance
Adjunct Professor of Statistics
Adjunct Professor of Applied Mathematics
Department of Economics
Box 353330                  email:  ezivot at u.washington.edu
University of Washington    phone:  206-543-6715
Seattle, WA 98195-3330
www:  http://faculty.washington.edu/ezivot