[R-SIG-Finance] help with egarch prediction

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Wed Nov 23 11:29:23 CET 2011

Alexios has given a computational reason
for needing more data, but there is an
economic reason as well -- 30 months is
not enough data to estimate a garch model.

For daily data I regard 1000 observations
as the absolute minimum to get any sort of
reasonable estimate.

I think it would be better to avoid the
estimation step.  Here's what I would do
in this situation:

1.  Get a "standard" set of parameters for
the garch model.  I'm not sure what those
would be for monthly data.  (You can think
of this as a Bayesian estimate with a very
narrow prior.)

2.  Given the fixed parameters and the
variance of the known data, solve for the
intercept.

3.  Do the prediction with these parameters.
It is just a bit of arithmetic.