[R-SIG-Finance] Data (Was: TZs)

Ulrich Staudinger ustaudinger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 19:52:32 CEST 2011

Am 07.10.2011 19:44, schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> Andrew also asked about the dissemination of derived analysis (graphs etc).
> which I think that is fine because that is your work rather that their raw
> data.  IANAL.

Actually that's not entirely the best answer as this again depends on
the data provider. Based on my personal experience, I know that
Bloomberg terminals do not allow the dissemination of data and derived
work to non-terminal users, unless the company owning the terminal
acquired a specific data dissemination license as it is bundled in
specific products, such as the BB Back-Office products or the
Data-Licence products.

BB can be really picky about that and they frequently say that they
check the usage patterns of their terminal users for hints on
exceptionally high data download rates. As long as that data stays on
the terminal machine, everything is fine. But I assume that's again
something everybody has to make peace with the local administrator on
his/her own.

As said already I think it depends on the data provider and it is best
to check with them as providers such as FactSet, Thomson-Reuters,
TickData, etc. have their very own data usage licenses.

Cheers