[R-SIG-Finance] Artificial price series

Worik worik.stanton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:32:25 CEST 2011

This is very interesting.  My take is that it is futile to try to
generate artificial price series using simple algorithmic processes that
have the properties of real price series.  (Return series are
equivalent, but price series make pretty graphs!)

My reasoning is theoretical so suspect.  Here goes:  Prices are self
referencing systems.  In that they are set by a group of intelligent
agents (not just people, there are plenty of robots with varying degrees
of intelligence trading out there).  They analyse price movements and
the surrounding systems (the "ecosystem" of prices if you like) and the
decisions they make are dependant on all the inputs in a very non-linear
manner.

Sorry that is not clear, I cannot do better right now in an email.

I am not saying that markets (the collection of these agents, their
interactions and the prices that result) are efficient, they are not in
a EMH sense.  I am saying that the price series that results is
unreproducible by simple algorithmic processes.

But that said, an artificial price series is a nice thing to have to
hand as its properties are well known.  For some one like me who is
studying and reproducing results from TA literature it is very useful.
If I feed the artificial price series to my TA algorithms I expect
random results.  It is just another test, neither sufficient nor
necessary, but nice to have, for all sorts of reasons.

So all in all there is no point putting a lot of research effort into
simple methods of generating artificial price series.

This is what I used, good enough for me....

getArtificialDataBrownian <- function(length=10000,
seed=round(exp(1)*1000)){
   set.seed(seed)
   r <- 1
   sigma <- 0.5
   x <- 10
   N <- length   # number of end points of the grid including T
   T <- 1 # length of the interval [0,T] in time units
   Delta <- T/N # time increment
   W <- numeric(N+1) # initialization of the vector W
   t <- seq(0,T, length=N+1)
   for(i in 2:(N+1))
     W[i] <- W[i-1] + rnorm(1) * sqrt(Delta)
   S <- x * exp((r-sigma^2/2)*t + sigma*W)

   start <- as.Date("1900-01-01")
   end <- start+length
   dates <- seq(start, end, by="day")
   ret <- xts(S, dates)
   return(ret)
}

cheers
Worik

On 19/04/11 09:46, Ron Michael wrote:
> Thanks Horace and Mark for replying on my query. However I believe that my question was not properly understood or may be I could not understand your statement. Whatever it happened, I believe there is some miscommunication.
>
> I want to understand that: between these 2 candidates GBM&  RW (form of them I already mentioned in my previous mail), which could be better. I understand that both are very simplistic in modelling any price, however if I have to chose anyone from them then what should I chose? GBM or RW.
>
> Many previous mails seems to me that, they are in support of GBM, where I believe that there are no fundamental difference between them. Or perhaps I am missing something?
>
> Thanks,

If we amplify everything, we hear nothing.