[R-SIG-Finance] haver

amit jain buddyhi at indiatimes.com
Tue Oct 26 14:06:42 CEST 2010

Hi
 Has anyone downloaded Haver data into R.

I am an R newbie, so please forgive any stupid questions.

This is what i did so far :

I was able to download data from Haver using an existing dll in Visual Basic(Excel).
For e.g. I declared functions such as

Private Declare Function DLXOpenDatabase Lib "DLXAPI32" (ByVal DBName$) As Long

And then used them as
k = DLXOpenDatabase("W:/DLX/USECON")
MsgBox (k)

Gives me '0' showing connection established

Now I am trying to migrate this code to R and was wondering what is the easiest way to call an external dll in R.

During my research I found this link
http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/compilingDLLs/existingDLL.html

But it seems to be old with expired links to further help pages.

Can any one guide me on how best to connect to external dll's from R and if there is any easier way than writing a new wrapper dll?

Best,
Amit