[R-SIG-Finance] !SPAM: Re: Recomendations for backtesting...

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Sun Jun 20 14:37:52 CEST 2010

On 06/20/2010 06:36 AM, Ulrich Staudinger wrote:
> Try AQ-R, the R offspring of activeQuant. It's in the aq svn repository and,
> if you ask me, without down setting the other packages, it is much more
> suited and also much more practical for large scale backtesting than the
> other ones, it works with bid/ask prices and just as an example, it uses
> vectors and not iterations ...

Not everything can be vectorized.

While it is true that much in strategy execution can and should be vectorized,
at some point there are path dependent steps.  You have a maximum position, or
your next trade depends on the current trade, or you target position is some
percentage of current account equity.  While indicators and signals can often
be vectorized, these path-dependent steps are also a part of strategy
execution.  Even some indicators are iterative, such as any ARMA or GARCH or
Kalman model.

That aside, there are always opportunities for performance improvement, and
C/C++ are readily available for places where the code needs to be faster.

Cheers,

   - Brian