[R-SIG-Finance] GARCH Estimation Problem---- This is not a R problem but an econometric problem

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Mon Jun 14 13:01:54 CEST 2010

I don't know what is going on, but I'm
suspecting that LB p-value = .9999 is a
hint.

That p-value of essentially 1 is trying to
say that the squared residuals are systematically
anti autocorrelated.  That's unlikely to be
true.  More likely is that one or more outliers
are skewing the test -- the Burns Statistics
working paper on Ljung-Box talks about this and
says what test to use.

My guess is that the outlier(s) are not only
affecting the Ljung-Box test but estimation as
well.  Assuming a t-distribution rather than a
Gaussian in the garch estimate might help, but
perhaps Winsorizing the returns would be a more
profitable route.

Reality seems to be a more interesting story than
can be told with the simple model used so far.