[R-SIG-Finance] Wild bootstrap

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Tue Mar 30 10:14:58 CEST 2010

It is good if the original poster explains what
a term means that they are searching for.  That
has at least two benefits:

* it avoids misunderstandings if the same or a
similar term has a different meaning.

* it educates subscribers (like me) who don't
know the term.

If not the original poster, then it's nice if a
response contains it.  So here goes:

The wild bootstrap is bootstrapping residuals and
then randomly multiplying by 1 or -1.  Hence ensuring
the distribution is symmetric around zero.

I've done it -- I just didn't know it had a name.

The bootstrapping tutorial on www.burns-stat.com
would tell you how to do it yourself (minus the last
step of multiplying by -1 or 1).

--
Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com