[R-SIG-Finance] List etiquette

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:26:20 CET 2010

> This seems quite arbitrary to me as I can subscribe to GMail using any
> real _looking_ name which still isn't actually _my_ real name.

Of course you can -- one can also provide disinformation (deception?).
 Just because you can doesn't mean it is good.

Certainly it may be important for some to remove firm affiliations,
for legal or personal reasons.  Your name/signature serves as a
measure of trust.  If you are willing to attach your real name, that
says something important to me about your integrity and honesty.  It
says even more when you don't.

It is a fairly simple expectation that I have.  If you want
assistance, or to engage in discussion, it strikes me as rude that you
wouldn't share with the audience your name.  If we were in a physical
forum, it would be akin to making me stand behind a curtain so I
didn't get to see who you were.

While this game sometimes boils down to egos, I think this list is
stellar because it does not.

Jeff