[R-SIG-Finance] CVaR portfolio-optimization vs. utility maximization..

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Jan 27 19:47:00 CET 2010

Well, there are a couple things likely going on here....

Your choice of confidence threshold is really important.  The highly
risk averse investor might be better off using VaR with a high threshold
than CVaR, despite its nonlinearity.

Whether you have enough data to fit a copula is important.

If you're doing this in a portfolio context, I'd argue that flattening
from a multivariate distribution to a univariate CVaR number, even with
a copula, misses the component contribution to risk.  See "Component
Expected Shortfall" or "Component CVaR"

Regards,

    - Brian

--