[R-SIG-Finance] Non parametric, unequal variance, equality of mean significance test

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 01:02:36 CET 2009

Hi Reena,

There is Cramer's theorem stating that the sum of two independent variables has normal distribution if and only if each of them is normally distributed. So to strictly satisfy conditions for t-test you data must be normally distributed.
However, because of the Central Limit Theorem, if the sample is large enough (and has finite second moment/variance) you can use t-test (with unequal variances). I believe that 30 and 20 may be large enough.
As to Mann Whitney test, it checks for equal distributions - equal means are not enough.

Best regards,
Moshe.