[R-SIG-Finance] Non parametric, unequal variance, equality of mean significance test

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Dec 23 17:25:07 CET 2009

Reena Bansal wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have two samples of data of different sizes. Sample 1 is 30 points and
> sample 2 is 20 points. I have no reason to believe that the two sample
> are normally distributed or have the same variance. I am looking for
> significance test for the null that the two samples have same mean (or
> the two samples come from same population).
>
> I found the unpaired Student's t test for unequal variance. However this
> test assumes normality.
> The non parametric test I found is the Mann Whitney U test. But this
> test requires equal variance.

I seriously doubt your series are long enough for any standard
statistical test to have high enough confidence.  Your error bands will
be quite wide.

I would probably check the fit to non-normal and fat-tailed
distributions such as the Cornish Fisher, the skewed Student-t and the
general Pareto.  If your data seems to fit those well, you may be able
to compare the fitted distributions.

There are a number of distribution fitting functions in
PerformanceAnalytics, and most have been wrapped into chart.Histogram
and chart.QQPlot.  Of course, R has a wealth of this kind of
functionality, and I'm only referring to the code I am most familiar with.

Regards,

     - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson