[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] Volatility Swaps

Val Neyman val.neyman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:00:21 CET 2009

I think you need a little more than that since an existing volatility swap
would need the current realized vol since effective date and the implied vol
until expiry. So something like this: vol(t,t_ef-t_ex) = RV(t-t_ef) +
IV(t_ex - t). Where t_e is the effective date of the vol swap, t_ex is the
expiration of the swap, IV is the implied vol, and RV is the realized vol.
The MV of the vol swap at t (where t>=t_ef) would be
PV(Notional*(vol(t_ef,t_ef-t_ex) - vol(t,t_ef-t_ex))). On t_ef, the value of
the swap = 0.

Any ideas on how to implement this would be appreciated. Thanks.