[R-SIG-Finance] QuantMod trading models docs?

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 19:37:00 CEST 2009

>   Thanks. Can I just install that over the top of the currently
> installed CRAN version? If so I'll give it a try today. If not then am
> I required to so a remove.packages first?

Should just be able to install over.  You will have to wait for the
updates on R-forge to get built, or you could always install from
source (the svn tree).

>   To keep the email list smaller thanks for the pointer over the
> weekend to the previous conversation on this topic. It's clear folks
> have given this a great deal of thought and there are a number of
> tools out there that address at least portions of the problem. that
> should make for many hours of investigation on my part.

Usually does make things faster.

>   Maybe it's just a terminology thing but I'm surprised that
> backtesting - to me simply executing the model on a given data set and
> collecting the results - should be considered so difficult. I would
> have thought that would be relatively straight forward and maybe
> optimization would be the real problem.
>
>   In terms of and code I'd certainly be happy to share non-system
> specific portions but please don't hold your breath. I'm not a
> programmer so all of this stuff is a struggle and results come very
> slowly. That said my original thought on this would have turned some
> of what I see in blotter into something that looks a bit more like
> EasyLanguage on TradeStation, but that's just so I can go back and
> forth between R and TS. EL really only has 4 commands for buy/sell
> operations:
>
> Buy
> Sell
> SellShort
> BuyToCover
>
> and then adds the modifiers "market", "stop" o r limit" to specify the
> way the order executes against price. I was going to focus on creating
> some code to do that and see where it led me.
>
>   I am a bit concerned reading through your thread that possibly I'm
> going to have real trouble with tick data in R? I'm not working on
> end-of-day stuff as I'm a day trader and am flat every night. (Deity
> willing) My tick data is has date and time but isn't guaranteed unique
> in that respect. Is there any reason you or others know of why xts or
> zoo should not handle tick data?

Tick data should be no problem for xts or zoo.  Many people use it for
that with good success.  Uniqueness is an issue outside of the time
representation.  You can always do something to make the timestamp
unique.  The question is whether or not you should treat it as unique.
 Depends on what you are doing really.

Others on this list are very active in the high-freq space, so one or
more may provide some detailed comments.

>   Clearly I have a lot to study and since turtles now runs I can do that.

Keep us posted (on or off list).

Thanks,
Jeff

--