[R-SIG-Finance] Evaluating equity curves

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Mon Oct 12 03:15:21 CEST 2009

R. Vince wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Isn't any stream of cumulative returns, de facto, an equity curve? Or am
> I misunderstanding this? Thanks, Ralph Vince

You're absolutely correct.  This is why I described it as an artificial
distinction.  Many traders seem to believe that there is something magical
about an "equity curve" when it is really just a way of describing cumulative
returns. Thus my point that there is indeed nothing magical, and all the usual
suspects on return, risk, and attribution analysis may be readily applied to
analysis of trading strategies.

Regards,

     - Brian

--