[R-SIG-Finance] Non unique timestamp in zoo object

Jeff Ryan jeff.a.ryan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 19:32:54 CEST 2009

Jatin,

quantmod charts need non-unique values at present.  I suspect that
will always be the case, as the x-index relies on time.

xts can handle merging with non-unique timestamps, but keep in mind
that many operations would be quite ill-defined.  Merging will work,
but Ops methods (+-/* etc) will make little sense if you aren't
cognisant of what is actually being performed. diff() and lag() will
also be problematic.

Aside from that, the myriad of documentation available on zoo (great),
xts (less great, but good), and using the above and R in finance
(check the list archives... learn the list archives) is quite
impressive.

Obviously the caliber of the reply on this list is awe inspiring as
well, but asking questions should really be a last resort, and only if
they haven't been asked before.

Jeff

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Gabor
Grothendieck<ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that for any calculation that involves merge.zoo (which
> is most calculations since even z1 + z2 can do a
> merge underneath) one does require unique times in zoo.
> read.zoo can read in times that are not unique but ultimately
> you will want to make them unique for most operations.
>
> The aggregate= argument of read.zoo provides a way to
> collapse duplicates and there are additional facilities in the
> devel version of zoo.
>
> As indicated in my prior post in this thread zoo FAQ #1
> has further discussion.
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Brian G. Peterson<brian at braverock.com> wrote:
>> jatin patni wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to create a zoo object from a tick data file(sample below)
>>> which
>>> contains timestamps only.
>>> Filename: "20080202.trd"
>>> 1|BHARTIARTL|EQ|18:15:05|600|1