[R-SIG-Finance] Non unique timestamp in zoo object

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 19:17:37 CEST 2009

Assuming you want the last value field and sum
of the volume fields try this:

Lines <- "1|BHARTIARTL|EQ|18:15:05|600|1
2|BHARTIARTL|EQ|18:15:05|600|99
3|GLENMARK|EQ|18:15:05|238.1|5
4|HINDALCO|EQ|18:15:05|43.75|100
5|BHARTIARTL|EQ|18:15:05|600|1
6|BHEL|EQ|18:15:05|1100|11
7|HINDALCO|EQ|18:15:06|43.2|1
8|CHAMBLFERT|EQ|18:15:06|46|10
9|CHAMBLFERT|EQ|18:15:06|46|90
10|BAJAUTOFIN|EQ|18:15:06|80|100"

library(zoo)
library(chron)

tail1 <- function(x) tail(x, 1)
cls <- c("NULL", "NULL", "NULL", "character", "numeric", "numeric")
nms <- c("", "", "", "time", "value", "volume")

z <- read.zoo(textConnection(Lines), aggregate = tail1,
	FUN = times, sep = "|", colClasses = cls, col.names = nms)

# re-read using sum
z2 <- read.zoo(textConnection(Lines), aggregate = sum,
	FUN = times, sep = "|", colClasses = cls, col.names = nms)

z$volume <- z2$volume

See zoo faq #1:
   vignette("zoo-faq")
and see ?read.zoo