[R-SIG-Finance] Extracting the n-step-ahead estimates from fGarch

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Tue Jul 14 17:21:56 CEST 2009

I've been experimenting with fitting a garch model to some instrument
data.  It appears that the  conditional volatility for the instrument in
question behaves pretty well in a GARCH(p,q) model.

I'm wondering if anyone has combined garchFit() and predict() from
fGarch to effectively produce a "rolling prediction" on the series?

 gtest=garchFit(~garch(1,1),garchSim())
 predict(gtest, n.ahead = 10)

Will fit a GARCH(1,1) model to the data, and then predict 10 steps ahead
on that model.  This is fine, but in the real world you'd want to
predict on a rolling basis "out of sample", potentially refitting as
each new observation comes in, or not, depending on the stability of
your series.

Barring any input from the list, I'll probably do this using
apply.fromstart from PerformanceAnalytics (wouldn't it be nice if
rollapply in xts and zoo could fix the starting point for the roll?),
and then collect the prediction at time t for time t+n, and then line up
the predictions with the observed series when I'm done.

I'm hoping somebody has already written a wrapper like this and can save
me some time.

Regards,

  - Brian

--