[R-SIG-Finance] Extracting implied probabilities

Robert Sams robert at sanctumfi.com
Tue Jul 14 17:12:11 CEST 2009

I use the simple, model-free approach of letting (P[i] - P[i+1]) /
(X[i+1] - X[i]) be the probability that the price of the underlying is
*at or above* X[i+1] at expiry and P[i] is the premium of call X[i].
Solve for all i's up the strike chain. Basically, we construct call
spreads from consecutive strikes up the call chain and treat each spread
as a binary option struck at the top strike. The probability is the
spread price divided by the strike difference.

Of course, the resolution of the price intervals is limited by the size
of your strike chain. Your case of three doesn't get you very far,
unfortunately.

Note, you can also check which puts have open interest and using
put-call parity you might be able to fill in some gaps with "shadow"
call values.

Robert