[R-SIG-Finance] standard error and p-value for the estimated parameter in AR model

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 22:23:28 CEST 2009

Hi

Yes dependance of regressor and errors has the effect that your
estimator is biased. Hamilton (p 215) discusses the case of AR() with
iid errors:

"the OLS coefficient gives a biased estimate in case of an autoregression
and the standard t and F statistic can only be justified asymptotically. "

So as you point right out, normal distribution instead of student should
be used for the p-values! (I'm not sure whether student distribution
can't be used if you make the assumption that the errors are Gaussian. )

Note however that those results are derived for the OLS estimator, which
is not the estimator by default in ar().

For small sample p-values, bootstrap methods could be used. Introductory
discussion can be found in Maddala p 323 (available on google books,
type: "the procedure for the generation of the bootstrap samples").

Matthieu