[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] Downloading data from specific website

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 22:48:23 CEST 2009

Try this.  First we read in the entire page line by line into Lines
and find the index, ix, of the line starting with <.   st is its
value as a character string after stripping off junk.  Then we
re-read the page from the text we already downloaded but this
time as a table skipping the first ix lines and finally we
convert it to zoo using as.yearqtr(st) as the start quarter.

> library(zoo)
> URL <- "http://www.jmulti.de//download/datasets/e6.dat"
> Lines <- readLines(URL)
> ix <- grep("^<", Lines)
> st <- sub("[<> ]", "", Lines[ix])
> DF <- read.table(textConnection(Lines), skip = ix, header = TRUE)
> z <- zooreg(as.matrix(DF), start = as.yearqtr(st), freq = 4)
> head(z)
                  Dp     R
1972 Q2 -0.003132580 0.083
1972 Q3  0.018871300 0.083