[R-SIG-Finance] chart.PerformanceAnalytics(), character string is not in a standard unambiguous format

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed Jun 17 22:55:53 CEST 2009

Is your date index a Date class, or a character string?  If it is of
class Date or YearMon, I wouldn't anticipate any problems, but if your
row names are characters, the error would be because the charting
function doesn't know how to create the x axis labels.

For example, as.xts(z) would likely give you the same error if you have
character strings for the dates.

Regards,

    - Brian

Khanh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I ran into this error "Error in fromchar(x) : character string is not
> in a standard unambiguous format"" when I run
> charts.PerformanceSummary(). I guess that I probably messed up the
> dates in my data somehow.
>

>> z <- Return.calculate(stb.agg$STB.Close, method=c("compound", "simple")) #stb.agg is my monthly price history
>> head(z)
>>
>                  STB
> Aug 2006  0.01250428
> Sep 2006  0.05904603