[R-SIG-Finance] Vector autoregression with Newey-West standard errors

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 19:34:56 CEST 2009

Hi

I wasn't aware of the fact that HAC is not designed for time series
model (thanks Achim!). But nevertheless I think that HC is still usable,
well at least I saw it in couple of papers dealing with times series.

So if you still want to use an HC, two solutions:

A solve the problem (workaround):
The problem is actually in an inconsistency in VAR() when working with
type=const or both, as in your case.

See from your example:
model.matrix(a)
model.matrix(temp.lm)

to get it working you should replace:
         attr(equation[[colnames(yend)[i]]]$terms, "intercept") <- 1
by:
         attr(equation[[colnames(yend)[i]]]$terms, "intercept") <- NULL

I'll see with Bernhard how to update it.

B: I was working myself on a Eicker -White cov-mat and implemented it in
a package (dev version of tsDyn) that also contains VAR, so you could
use this one.

Bests