[R-SIG-Finance] [R-sig-finance] A question on VECM

John Frain frainj at tcd.ie
Thu Jun 4 13:39:21 CEST 2009

Let beta be (r by n) of rank r. (r<n).  Let Q (r by r) be the first r
columns of this matrix. Let P = inv(Q).  Then P * pi is of the form
you require.  (I presume that Q is always invertible - see
Johansen(1995), Likelihood based inference in Cointegrated Vector
Autoregressive Models, Oxford.).  In the early days this method was
seen as one way of achieving identification of the model. Regrettably,
in most cases, it does not have any economic content

Best regards

John